Beaumont Commons, Farmington Hills began as a hospital and school for children with physical disabilities, polio in particular. The present Farmington Hills Senior Living Center and the Charles H. Williams Clinical and Administration Building were originally home to the Michigan Hospital for Crippled Children.
In 1919, then Mayor of Detroit, James Couzens, made a charitable gift as a birthday present to his wife. It was designated for the construction and establishment of an endowment fund for a school for children.
Commissioning a School
Albert Kahn was commissioned to design the school. The buildings are characteristic of Kahn’s style — the red brick, slate roofs, and arched doorways. Limestone tile inlays depicting children at play adorn the building exterior.
The first of the two buildings opened in 1923, and the other in 1926. During its early operation, the school was recognized as a major center for orthopedic care and services for crippled children. Dr. William E. Blodgett, an eminent orthopedist, was on the School’s faculty.
Sister Kenny spent considerable time on our campus researching the use of hydrotherapy in the treatment of polio. Because of her significant contributions to the fight against polio, the school became known as the Sister Kenny Hospital. With the discovery of the polio vaccine in the early 1950s, the scourge of poliomyelitis began to be eradicated. The resulting decrease in cases meant a lower patient load at the hospital and school. After 1955, the community was no longer used to serve children.
From 1956 to 1961, the State of Michigan rented the facility to use to provide programs for children with psychological challenges who needed special attention.
Transitioning to a Nursing Care Center
In 1969, the land and buildings on our campus were privately purchased, and converted into a 179 bed nursing care center. It became known as Farmington Nursing Home.
Fifteen years later, Botsford Hospital acquired the nursing home as part of a corporate reorganization. It established Botsford Continuing Care Corporation, a not-for-profit organization. A separate Board of Directors was tasked with the job of developing long-term care services for adults in southeast Michigan.
In 1992, the Board of Directors changed the nursing care center’s name to Farmington Hills Continuing Care Center. This change reflected the community’s relationship with the hospital and the higher level of skilled and advanced health care services being provided to older adults in southeast Michigan.
Today, we are still caring for some residents who lived here as children.
Beaumont Commons, Farmington Hills Senior Living
Beaumont Commons, Farmington Hills is now home to a full continuum of care. We welcome independent seniors, older adults who need assisted living services, short-term rehab, long-term care and dedicated Alzheimer’s care. We also have a Senior Assessment Center with on-site clinicians who can evaluate the needs of any older adult in southeast Michigan.